Sunday, September 30, 2018

Neuropathy in Cats

Hello all.  Thought I would stop in and write up a little update on Pippin.  He is actually doing well. As he's getting older he's been not really wanting to eat his dry food so we put out wet food and dry food for him.  One time a vet told me that for a diabetic cat any type of wet food was ok for them.  So it doesn't have to be specifically for diabetes. I don't know if his teeth are hurting him but since he's 15 I'm a little nervous about having his teeth cleaned again.  He had them done when he was 13 I think and he didn't do too well afterwards so I'm putting it off unless it seems necessary.

He's started to walk on his hocks a little which is called Neuropathy. Neuropathy is nerve pain that diabetics get in their limbs.   I took him into the vet and she didn't seem that concerned and said we just need to get him regulated.  He is regulated though so then she told me though eventually it can become irreversible. I came home though and did a lot of research on the internet about it and found some diabetic cat threads where people were talking about giving their cats B12 for Neuropathy.  I found people were using Zobaline (specifically for cats) so I emailed my vet and asked about it.  She said she doesn't tell people to use it because it's not proven to help cats with Neuropathy but told me that if I wanted to try it I could.  Of course I ordered it.  I think it's helping him but my husband says he looks the same.  HAHA!  So ...  I'm going to keep him on it forever since it doesn't hurt and it's just a supplement and since it could be helping him why not? 

As Pippin gets older I start to think about him passing away.  People always ask me... will you get another cat?  I am really not sure.  It's going to be a long long time before I do. I just can't replace my cats like some people.  I just feel like it's.. not right to go out and just get a "new" cat.  Maybe it's because I don't have kids and Merry and Pippin are like kids to me.  Anyways... hopefully I still at least have two more years with Pippin.




No comments:

Post a Comment